Further and Higher Education
Improving sustainability through healthy food and innovation
Students are becoming more and more concerned about where their food comes from. The Food for Life Served Here award demonstrates a commitment from Universities that they are providing ethical, sustainable and healthier food options for their students, staff and visitors.
Universities and colleges are in a unique position, providing environmentally friendly food to a receptive audience reinforces a longer-term change in buying and eating habits. This independently inspected accreditation is a recognised framework to bench-mark businesses and work out improvements, allowing for incremental changes. It is a shortcut to meeting CSR, health and wellbeing targets, by serving more fresh, honest and local food, working in partnership with ourselves, the UK’s leading charity working on food and farming issues.
- Linking sustainability and food in a pioneering and meaningful way proving a commitment to ethical consumerism.
- Reducing the overall environmental impact of your company by reducing impact of the food served on your plate
- Championing local food producers and contributing to your local economy
- See a social return on investment of over £3 for every £1 spent, mostly in the form of increased jobs and opportunities for local food producers
- Many universities are using Food for Life Served Here as a visible and effective part of their campus-wide sustainability strategies, improving their environmental credentials and attracting students too.
Meeting the gold Food for Life Served Here Standards could mean:
- Increasing productivity - Students who are in good health are likely to be more productive
- Reducing the risk of type II diabetes and chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke and some cancers
- Exceeding industry norms by distinguishing your organisation from other institutions
- Connecting your organisational values to students’ personal values