It is an uncertain time for many cooks and caterers. As the Covid-19 landscape changes along with the government advice, customer demand and service environments are shifting.
We’ve heard many positive stories of Food for Life Served Here (FFLSH) cooks and caterers rising to these challenges, however, this remains a difficult period.
That’s why we have launched a series of webinars to support cooks and caterers.
Anyone in the industry can watch back or join - whether you are FFLSH certified, enrolled or not yet started on your FFLSH journey.
Wednesday 21st April – 2:30pm to 3:30pm
Our Spring 2021 webinar welcomed Julian Edwards, CEO of Allergen Accreditation and MD of GY5 Food Service Consultancy Ltd.
Julian joined us to give an overview of Natasha’s Law & Pre-packed for Direct Sale (PPDS) regulations. He explains what this means for caterers and answers questions.
Caron Longden, Development Lead for Food for Life Served Here & Green Kitchen Standard and Jeanette Orrey, co-founder of Food for Life, led on this informal session.
Watch the webinar in full below:
Practical Support for School Chefs as the 'New Normal' Evolves
As schools returned in September 2020, cooks and caterers were faced with a host of challenges - tackling how to maintain pupil and staff safety and wellbeing whilst continuing to serve nutritious meals.
In our second webinar, our panel shared their experiences of returning to service, discussing the successes and challenges they encountered as the ‘new normal’ in school food service took shape.
Caron Longden (National Development Manager, Food for Life) was joined by:
- Bill Campbell (Education Services Advisor)
- Jane Fairbank (Catering Manager, Scout Road Academy)
- Alasdair Griffett (Food for Life Education Senior Awards Officer)
- Jeanette Orrey MBE (Food for Life Co-Founder)
Below are links to some of the resources mentioned in the webinar:
- General principles for putting together food parcels and an example food parcel created by LACA can be found here
- The governments advice on providing school meals during COVID-19 can be found here
Practical Support for School Chefs in the New ‘Normal’
The aim of our first webinar was to support in-house school chefs returning to service following the initial lockdown in Spring 2020.
Caron Longden (Food for Life Regional Development Manager) was joined by:
- Jeanette Orrey MBE (Co-founder of Food for Life)
- Tony Mulgrew (Catering Manager, Ravenscliffe High)
- Sam Ward (Lead for Food and Nutrition, Academy for Character & Excellence)
To support school chefs in maintaining healthy school meals during Covid-19, the webinar covered:
- Practical steps you can take to manage your in-house catering
- Measures which can be put into place for returning to work
- Advice on the food offer for limited numbers of children returning to school
- Knowledge sharing with a Q&A discussion session
You can watch the webinar below:
Below are links to some of the help available that we mentioned throughout the webinar:
- Please join the Food for Life Cooks and Caterers Facebook group, its full of helpful advice and a community of experts willing to answer ANY questions and queries. Join here
For further support email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in becoming Food for Life Served Here certified? Enrol today.